Monday, March 29, 2010

My 1st SXSW

This is my story of SXSW. This is also my first attempt at writing. It didn’t get into any paper because I don’t do deadlines, so instead it is going into my blog as my first post. I don’t have an iphone, a blackberry, a ustream, a blog or any other type of device that keeps me connected to the rest of the outside world at all times. I don’t update, post or twitter constantly about everything I am seeing, feeling, hearing, tasting, liking or not liking. I know that I am a rare breed in this world of wired zombies. But I actually enjoy my experiences too much to interrupt anyone of them just to update others about what I just saw, am about to see or what I am currently seeing.

In a world of constant tweet chat & face blogging, anyone can live vicariously through someone else’s post date or blog space. I feel the same way about this as I do about the guy at the concert that calls his buddy & holds the phone up for him to hear U2 play ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’. If your buddy didn’t buy a ticket then tough luck, he missed out. If you want to enjoy the ride, then get on the bus.
And that’s what I did! I got on the bus (in the form of a Ford F-150) and traveled the 15 road hours to Austin for SXSW. I went with my husband, Fletch, the photographer, and 2 writer friends, Jesse & Sarah. Including my posse, I was surrounded by 1000’s of not only music fans, but by these wired zombies I mentioned earlier.


I was always behind someone who was walking slow & aimlessly with his head in his phone who seemed more interested in letting others know about his fabulous life than getting to the next band at the next venue. Or I was waiting for one of my posse to get their head out of their (@$$) iphone & catch up.

SXSW is a music lover’s dream. Music is coming out of every doorway & every window on 6th Street and all the surrounding streets in every direction, not just south. I heard, saw, touched, tasted & smelled music everywhere. I partied like a rock star for 5 days. I didn’t need to update everyone constantly for them to know that. They knew where I was. They knew I was having fun. That’s all they really needed to know.

Now that I’m back, I can let you know what I saw, heard & enjoyed.
I saw & heard A LOT of awesome bands. But what did you expect, it’s SXSW! It was really hard to find something that didn’t sound good. I like a lot of different genres and I’m pretty easy to please….when it comes to music that is. Yet even when a band wasn’t my cup of tea, they still sounded like they deserved to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment