Monday, March 29, 2010

SXSW Day 1

We rolled into town on Wednesday about noon. We headed straight for the convention center where we picked up our stinkin’ badges & got our goody bag. Then up to the 4th floor to retrieve our daily SXXpress Pass which allowed us to surpass the lines at Stubb‘s that night.









We checked into our hotel, made ourselves presentable and had a few celebratory Bloody Mary’s before catching the shuttle back to 6th Street. We then went to Daddy’s for a $4 beer & a shot. I was a little too eager to start having fun & it hit me all at once. I had to drink some water & sober up if I was going to finish the night.


We went to Stubb’s for the funky soulful Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Her twisting & shaking & flying fringe were a sight to see. After that was the band everyone is talking about, Broken Bells, which is James Mercer of The Shins and Danger Mouse’s Brian Burton and to our eyes surprise, it also included Nate Walcott and Nik Freitas from Conor Oberst’s Mystic Valley Band.


However for some reason we left Stubb’s during Broken Bells because fellow companions said there was a band they wanted to see at Club de Ville. My friends, including my husband, all turned into zombies at that point, not the wired kind, just zombies. We all stood around hee-hawin’ & I couldn’t get a straight answer out of any of them. I don’t know if it was the 15 hour drive or what. Finally we went into Club de Ville where we saw Bowerbirds & Califone which made me wonder why the we left Broken Bells for this? Like I said, all SX bands are good enough to be there but I was looking for something a little less mellow. I like music with energy, or some edge. I was so happy to see Neal Duffy, a fellow energetic soul & his fun friend, Allie, from New York.

Finally I made the call, grabbed Fletch and headed back to Stubb’s to catch the last of Austin’s very own, Spoon. Our fellow companions ended up there as well, which again made me question why we ever left? After Spoon, they went their way & we went ours. We ended up catching innocent looking The Morning Benders at Emo’s Jr. They sounded just as innocent and a little like early Beatles & Beach Boys.

Shuttle, home, bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment