Thursday, April 8, 2010

Good Friends & Bad Habits

That’s exactly what last Saturday night was! Good friends & bad habits. And because of that, there’s not much I can really say about it, other than that. However, I’ll do my best.

We arrived about 9pm, which is early for me, for Todd Dickey‘s annual “Let‘s see how late we can stay up“ fest. It was an open-door party. Literally, the front door was wide open & remained that way for most of the night.

I brought some of my homemade guacamole & a crock pot full of meatballs in none other than Stubb’s BBQ sauce. Fletch & I also brought a couple bottles of Vodka, some Bloody Mary Mix & as always, a bottle of Tequila. All the liquor was thrown into the hot tub full of ice in the back bedroom & all of the beer was in the tub of ice in the other bathroom.

Let the party begin!

Along with the good friends & bad habits, there was also good music.
There was a rumor that some old band members from bands of the past would be there. But Bryan Poole & Jimmy Adams never showed. It’s too bad because I would’ve loved to hear Bryan sing ‘Blue Moon’. It’s been so long since I’ve heard him sing that. And if Jimmy would’ve showed, two-thirds of The Banti Roosters would’ve been there. Shady will probably never show, but there were enough musicians that someone could’ve taken his place. In expectation of this, I wore my old Banti Roosters t-shirt, which everyone thought was in really good condition for it’s age. But girls don’t wear huge t-shirts anymore, so of course it still looks good. I had to belt it. Mick’s ex-wife, Andie & I used call ourselves the Panty Roosters since we were always around.

Anyway, back to the night. Lash & Ringo were there, so of course The Mercury’s played while the rest of us made trips back & forth to the bathroom. That’s where the liquor was, remember? Most parties end up in the kitchen, but we spent a lot of time in the bathroom.

Later in the night, The Filter Kings played while Zip & I slipped up to the bathroom again for tequila shots, as usual.

Let me take a minute to tell you how I know Todd Dickey. In 1986, the year I graduated, I went to a Halloween party at 8459 ‘C’ Street, otherwise known as The Shack. He lived there with Jim Bogensberger & Dave Lynch. I don’t know how I ended up there, but I did. By the end of that year, I was dating his roommate, Dave, for the next 4 years. During that time, Todd & I had a love hate relationship. Dave was a drinker & anyone Dave drank with, I kind of just tolerated, and Dave drank with everybody. When we broke up, I continued my friendship w/ Todd & I joke that in the break-up, Dave got the albums & I got Todd. As much as I miss the vinyl, I think I got the better deal.

I’ve celebrated Todd’s birthday with him forever it seems. Back in the day, we rented a Limo which took us to strip clubs from here to Lincoln and back. We did that for a few years in a row. Since then it’s been at Todd & Melissa’s place. It’s ALWAYS been on a Saturday night. Until last year that is. He had his party on Sunday last year! And it started in the day! And it ended early! I have not let him live it down. I give him shit about it every chance I get. I said he’s getting’ old havin’ parties on Sunday afternoon.

So when his birthday started approaching this year, I asked him if we could have a big boy party on a Saturday night this year. He said we could. And it was also great because he worked his party around my schedule. Fletch & I are always the last ones to leave & that‘s rarely before the sun comes up. However, this year, either people were stickin’ around later or I was feelin’ older because at 5am I finally had to go. Fletch & Todd & I finished off some more meatballs first & I think I begged him to go back to Sunday parties. I’m too old for this shit!

I'll check & see if there's any photos I can post, so check back.

No comments:

Post a Comment