Thursday, June 23, 2011

Yoga Rocks the Park! OM~aha! wk #4

I had planned to get my blog done early this week but I was struggling w/ how to write about last week’s yoga led by Melanie McLeod. I’m not really sure how to describe the 4th week of Yoga Rocks the Park. I guess you could say it was a little more straight forward & not nearly as playful as the last 3 weeks. I think I even heard her say “Some people are still not stretching their leg out…..”

Uh oh! I was hoping I wasn’t gonna be in trouble for taking a spot underneath a shade tree up front instead of getting in line with the other 229 yogi’s that made it this week. It made me wonder why she wasn’t calling out those who I thought were doing Cobra wrong. It looked like everyone was doing Upward Facing Dog. Since then, I found out there are 2 ways to do Cobra, either from the elbows, or your hands. I personally think from the elbows is a little harder & gives you a different stretch all together. Either way, you do what your body will allow in yoga!


The soft breezy acoustics of Calla Denker & Heather Newman went well with the slight breeze I was feeling in the shade. They played a lot of tunes we all know & love but they were done in such a delicate way that you almost didn’t recognize them. As when Rhythm Collective played No Woman No Cry, I once again sang along, “Everything's gonna be alright, Ev'rything's gonna be alright, Ev'rything's gonna be alright….” However this time I shed no tears. I truly believe everything IS gonna be alright & this time I sang along with a big positive smile! It’s awesome how yoga can change your mind set in just a few short weeks.

I thought it might be packed & hard to find a parking spot due to the College World Series, but it was easier than usual. Maybe it was the heat? It was so hot last Sunday that even my cell phone couldn’t take it. No video & some of my yoga pics were missing? This should be the perfect park, in about 20 years, for YRP & cell phones too, when the trees will provide enough shade for all & let only a little bit of sun peek through. But for now we’ve finally hit Summer Solstice on Tuesday & it’s only gonna get hotter my friends!
 
But just remember, there’s always a refreshing Mango or Pomegranate Margarita, served up in a huge thick martini glass, just waiting for you at Cantina Laredo. This is where my girls & I have found that we enjoying going after YRP. Last week, we enjoyed complimentary Queso Laredo w/ free chips & salsa, an order of freshly made guacamole & 4 Ice Teas, all for only $20! That’s $5 a piece. And we were full! Or you could try a ‘Yoga Rocks the Park’ cocktail at Crave. Or Blanc has an extensive beer selection.

I’m excited for YRP this coming Sunday, which will be led by Jenn Chiarelli & where the sounds will be provided by dj tres johnson of lowercase sounds. Jenn is currently based in Scottsdale, Arizona. When I saw that she teaches a Vinyasa flow class that integrates her background as a dancer & her love of yoga, I was intrigued. Although not a professional dancer myself, I love to dance & do it so much that I’ve been called “Dancin’ Vic”. You will also get to experience the deep house & ambient, downtempo, jazz that Tres broadcasts live every Sunday from his home studio on lowercase sounds from 6-9pm. His music gets me dancing, so that, along w/ Jenn’s style should be an interesting combination!

Yesterday in my local yoga class, my intention was 'Peace'. Then I started repeating the mantra "It is what is", but then all of a sudden & unintentionally, I noticed I was repeating 'Spiritual Gangster' because I felt like one!   Now I really want a Spiritual Gangster t-shirt! I know I'd wear it everyday! Except Fletch might get gangster & kick my ass if I buy more yoga stuff. Maybe he'll reward me w/ one at the end of YRP! Once again, I will be crossing my fingers & legs in Sukhasana for an SG Tee!!

Peace, Love & Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment