Sunday, June 12, 2011

Yoga Rocks the Park! OM~aha! wk #2


  The 3rd Yoga Rocks the Park is hours away & I haven’t even written about last week’s yet. My focus was elsewhere. Last Sunday morning an issue arose that really irked Fletch & I both. Fletch had lots of work so I met up w/ my girlfriends. Spiritual Gangster had shirts available for a suggested donation & I would love to say I finally got one, but the one I was hoping for, wasn’t there. Plus it’s really hard for me to shop or do much of anything when it’s 400 degrees outside. 


I laid out my mat, alongside 367 other hot sweaty yogi’s. Alex Austin, of Phoenix, was the yoga instructor. All I remember about Alex is his voice. I could listen to him talk all day about just about anything, even football. The way he enunciated each word & stretched them deeply, as if they were doing yoga poses themselves was just mesmerizing. The best comparison I’ve been able to come up with is a cross between Matthew McConaughy & Eric Roberts. I still can’t get his voice out of my head a week later.


As wonderful as Alex was, I couldn’t last more than maybe 15 minutes in that heat. I’m not a wuss but heat is no good for me & I should avoid it. But there are too many fun things to do in the heat. I started out w/ a beach towel over my mat this week, as I kept slipping last week. A few minutes into yoga, I was slipping on the smooth surface of the beach towel, so I broke pose & flipped it over to the rougher side, urrrr.. A few more minutes go by & now I’m slipping on this side too. So once again, I broke pose & got rid of the beach towel all together, grrrr. Back to just the mat. It wasn’t long at all before my feet were sticking to the mat, picking it up w/ every move since it was so darn sticky hot out, GRRRR. I finally threw the mat aside & opted for au naturale on the grass. Ahhh, the smell of fresh grass & the feel of it between my fingers & toes was sweet. Now I can get back to enjoying Alex. After a bit I’m all the way down w/ each little blade of grass poking in my face & up my nose. That’s it. I’m too hot, too frustrated & I clearly haven’t been able to let go of this morning’s upset. So I rolled up my mat, grabbed my stuff & headed for shade.










I strolled from tree to shaded tree taking pics. I really enjoyed The Mitch Gettman Band as they played very airy & dreamily. It was perfect for yoga. I just wish I could’ve experienced it all together. Again this week, Tres was painting some more amazing art nearby. Not far from there were lots of little ones spinning hula hoops or making things out of salt dough at Kids Camp. Salt dough is to be baked in oven to let harden. Need I say, it was hot as an oven outside!



 
 Afterwards, my girls & I decided to forgo Crave this week & opted for some fresh Guacamole, made table-side, and some Mango & Pomegranate Margaritas at Cantina Laredo, where everything was reasonably priced, plus they give you as much chips & salsa as you want, absolutely free! It was just the thing I needed to wash down my frustrations & laugh! A perfect ending to some yoga in the hot sun! After that, Amber & I planked on the wall at Midtown Crossing.


Much more tolerable temps are expected today, but so are thunderstorms. I am looking forward to instruction by Lora Haase, who we have to thank for bringing YRP to Omaha. She teaches at Lotus. Providing sounds for the landscape today is local DJ & creator of the monthly dance event "loom", Brent Crampton. I am proud to say that Brent refers to Fletch & I as his bohemian parents : ) & I am happy to tell you that he will be opening “House of Loom” very soon on 10th & Pacific.


Crossing my fingers & legs in Sukhasana for no rain!
Peace, Love & Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment