Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Love Fest in the Midwest Day 1

It’s the first day of Love Fest & I’m finally here after a night of packing up all my camp gear, costume clothes and getting some super foods ready so that I have enough energy to make it through 3 full days of music & whatever kind of goodness, or good kindness that I encounter this weekend.

I arrived at noon, got a little tour from Benny & Joel, and then I set up camp. After camp was all set, it was now time to check out what I was considering my “hippie retreat”. This is a much needed retreat for me, my attitude, my outlook & my overall well being. I figured a good dose of hippie love is just what I needed this weekend and since my birthday is on Sunday, I’m hoping to make this a new chapter and a new beginning.

As I explored my weekend home, the Bellevue Berry Farm, I fell in love with it immediately. It seems to be the perfect back drop for a music festival full of other exploring hippies. It was surreal with all these funky little western & haunted buildings. There was a duck and several peacocks roaming around freely. There was an emu, a couple of ponies and a Golden Coral that housed 5 beautiful golden retrievers.

I found myself walking around in circles the first couple of hours. That’s Karma though, “what goes around comes around”. I tripped twice already & I’m not talking the Ken Kesey kind. I literally tripped & fell. So in between walking in circles & tripping I spent a lot of time just chillin’ in the grass w/ Duder. Duder is Benny’s Grateful Dane & Benny is who you may have met at the Volunteer/First Aid Booth.

Camping for most was a big green grassy field. No cars were allowed in that area which made for a beautiful scene. All you could see were tents, hippies, fires & drum circles. The lot next to that was home for a couple dozen RV’s. I’m sure after the 2 hour thunderstorm later that night, the people getting soaked in tents were ready to storm those RV’s.

After finally figuring out where all the stages were, there was still some confusion as to which stage was which. And after meeting at the Pirate Ship for 4:20 it became even more confusing. The confusion carried on well into the evening, especially when, due to bad weather, they closed the Main Stage. Then it was anyone’s guess as to who was playing where & exactly when. The organizers are doing a great job, but it is a hippie fest and things tend to get a little confusing, to say the least.

I kinda love the fact that’s it’s all up in the air. It forces me to just relax & enjoy what comes my way. I’m so used to attacking music festivals w/ a schedule that’s planned before I even go. I spend my time rushing from one stage to the next trying to catch every single band. I’m taking a much different and definitely a more laid back approach this weekend. Taking that approach I‘ve happened upon a lot of good music so far. Today I caught: Everything I Plant, I Bury, Solid Gold, Funk Trek, Beaver and the Hottage Cutch and Kris Lager Band. Fletch & I did make sure that when the rain came we were at the G & G Smoke Shop Stage for the The Schwag. Then when the rain stopped, we headed over to catch some Strange Pleasures at Moose Lodge. We went back & forth between stages, the fire, our camp site & finally bed.

Peace, Love & Lady Bugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment