Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Love Fest in the Midwest ......It's My Birthday!!

Shut the Front Door, I’m 44!
It’s so awesome to wake up at Love Fest on your birthday!!

This was the first day we went to the Moose Lodge for their $6 breakfast buffet. It was awful. I’m so glad I brought my own healthy meals and didn’t rely on that every day. I had fruit & granola w/ almond milk, a hard-boiled egg, coffee & juice every morning. For lunch I had a Roast beef sandwich, w/ tomato & spinach or a Spinach salad w/ leftover salmon(not the band). For dinners I had either salmon or tilapia w/ broccoli and a mango, black bean, quinoa salad. I had chocolate energy bars & other healthy snacks. It was all about energy foods that could sustain me all weekend. If it’s there again next year, maybe better healthier food options can be offered. I always thought hippies liked to eat pretty healthy.

We ran into Benny after breakfast & followed him into the bar where we're pretty sure Alex & John had been drinkin' all night. They were from Deadman Flats, who I could go see every weekend, and Mudstomp Records. We shot the shit while Benny served up beers & we heard some rumors about a duck on acid.

Time to pack up.
 
I had such a great time at Love Fest & I can’t wait for next year! All in all it’s a pretty good little festival, full of peace & love. I enjoyed all the bands I got to see and they played for a decent amount of time. If I wanted to catch another band playing at the same time on another stage, I was able to make it.

I tried to catch as much music as I could but w/ the closing of the main stage and bands being rearranged to the 2 indoor stages, I never knew who was playing where or when. I really wanted to see The Bishops but never did, only to find out now that they were bumped. A sign saying who was currently playing would’ve helped because several times I’d stop at a stage & ask others who it was & nobody knew. A back up plan for bad weather would’ve helped & prevented bands from being upset. But as I stated at the beginning, I was there for more than the music, so I wasn’t too bummed.

There didn’t seem to be any major problems. I was camped right by security & caught a few bits & pieces, but overall, things seemed to be going smoothly. I guess there was a naked guy running around who had to be subdued & mellowed out before sending him back on his way, clothed of course.
Benny said there were about 10 cell phones brought to the lost & found, the last one belonging to the head honcho, Julie Smith. I’ve said she looks like she could be James Franco’s sister(the guy from Pineapple Express). It appears that it’s more than just looks.

There’s a new generation of hippies now but they haven’t changed much, since my first experience 20 years ago. The one change that I kept noticing over & over was their footwear. It used to be just Birkenstocks, hiking boots and the occasional jesus sandal. Now you could play a version of Birkenstock slug bug. Now it’s Chacos, Tevas, sneakers, flat knee-hi boots and of course flip flops. I brought & was surprised to see there were a few other fashionably smart girls who wore some pretty fun rain boots.

If you couldn’t tell yet, the vending was awesome. It was one booth after another of hand-made hippie clothes, tie-dyes, jewelry, glow toys & lasers, face painting, hair wraps & feathers and even gongs. I can’t forget to mention some very cool art you may have seen at one of the booths or inside the big barn on Saturday night by an amazing artist, Josh Audiss. I’m kind of kicking myself for not at least getting a print but I really wanted an orginal.

Once again, the Bellevue Berry Farm was a great place. They kept the place well taken care of, the bathrooms were not only nice, they were always stocked and if a toilet got clogged, it wasn’t for very long. A guy even came around to the camp sites to collect our trash. How awesome. And the owners & staff were super friendly & accommodating.

I just found out the most exciting news on facebook! Dustin DidgeriDude Camper asked Dalena Desiree Dawn Peterson to marry him while they were front & center at Keller Williams during his song about Love and Love Fest! I’m so happy for them! They were the cute couple Fletch bought my laser light from. And Dustin plays some kind didgeridoo!

Before coming, I decided I was going to greet people w/ the same enthusiasm that my dog greets me. It’s amazing the reaction you get when you approach life this way. I made so many friends every day there. Fletch & I have seen the same people in the local indie music scene for years & we never even say “hi”, we may give each other a slight nod, if even that. So it is quite refreshing to be greeted, accepted & loved by people immediately. It gives me a good feeling & strangely I am filled with a confidence that I am not used to feeling. They don’t judge me, they just love me!

Peace, Love & Lady Bugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment