Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Love Fest in the Midwest Day 3

Saturday morning I made a smoothie to go before heading to Morning Yoga w/ the lovely Sarah Kent in the main building. It was my first Yoga class in what will be another new chapter. I’m very weak & have a long road ahead of me, but as long as it’s a colorful road, I can do this.

The Jerry Pranksters, a Grateful Dead tribute band, started right after yoga & I can’t believe I had never made it to one of their shows. I will now. I then caught Louie Omaha who’s always playin’ guitar on the corner in the Old Market and Mamadou Mane Badaine, an amazing percussionist from Senegal that Omaha adopted years ago. I also enjoyed the heavy percussion & African rhythms of Antioquia. They had great energy & I realized most of the boys were in yoga this morning. I met the guys from Tree Hut Kings as they were passing by my van earlier and made sure to see them. They are self described as "Jammed Out Jazz Rock with a Funky Soul".

In between bands, I did more shopping to see what I missed. I almost missed the best outfit ever! I got a boa, some kick ass tie dyed corduroys and a long sleeve tie-dyed shirt, all in the same color scheme of turquoise, purple & pink. I threw on my pink fuzzy hat w/ some funky sunglasses & decided to strut my new look. I ended up on a hill for Higher Empathy Movement. As I sat next to Kris Lager, he said that I was the best dressed and apparently the prize was his cd, because he handed me that next. I’m listening to it now & love it!

I was running out of cash for my last evening so I desperately tried to figure out my ATM pin code w/o getting my card eaten. I never use it but after my support of the vendors, Fletch had no money for that Cornstalker beer he drank all weekend. Hooray! I got cash on the 3rd try! Fletch will stay hydrated!

I threw back a 5 hour energy shot, grabbed my new laser accessory and headed off to see Blue Martian Tribe, who I just recently discovered that I really like. Again, I kept going back & forth between stages. I caught Chelsea Taxman of Sea Rose Music. Her music was sweet & whimsical and I absolutely loved it. However, it would’ve been better in a quiet & more intimate setting. After a BMT crowd & before a Keller Williams crowd was not the place for her. I’ve seen Keller Williams several times. I really like Keller but this was a much more mellow show than usual and my energy shot was wearing off. Maybe it was the fact that while Keller was playing, I turned 44. Afterwards, my friend Joel got me back stage to meet Keller. He was in the middle of an impromptu jam w/ a few musicians from other bands. They were doing “Brown Eyed Women” by the Grateful Dead. Then we met, he shook my hand & told me “Happy Birthday”. I asked him how he liked playing Love Fest and he said he loved Love Fest and what it was about.

After that, I caught Mountain Sprout. They were a bunch of bango, fiddle & guitar playin’ hillbillies with long beards from Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Their music kept me around a little longer than I thought my eyes were going to make it.

The whole reason I took the 5 hour energy shot was so that I could see my friend James Cuato and the Ascenders, but sadly, I didn’t make it. I guess I needed something stronger. I’ll keep that in mind for next year. To bed.

Peace, Love & Lady Bugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment